Saturday, November 15, 2008

Success!

I did it! I fixed my first turkey, and it turned out wonderful! I started before 11:00 this morning.

You gotta know, I don't deal with raw meat to good. It just freaks me out...so having to handle this bird and clean it was very stressful to me. Not to mention, I had no idea that there would still be hairs on this thing! Good Lord! I thought I was gonna have to turn my wax pot on and wax my turkey. LOL I think all total, I called my mom 7 times to ask her questions as I continued thru the process, and maybe 2 calls to my sister. Mom told me I could put veggies or some sort of fruit inside to give it some flavor...so I went with an onion. I only have 2 bags of these things in my fridge so I felt like I could spare one for the bird. I really couldn't tell that it done much for it though...OK, so off to the oven it goes!
Actually, I already had put the darn thing in the oven and it had been in there for about 10 minutes when I realized I didn't cover it with foil. It wasn't so easy putting foil on a pan that was already hot but I managed to do the best I could. At that point I was getting more and more stressed because I'm O.C. about things going just right.
Half way mark! I thought I'd be smart. I have one of those flavor injector thingys...ya know, the ones that look like a syringe with a removable needle. I was using it to squirt some of the juices from the bottom of the pan onto the turkey (as per my mother's instructions), when the idea hit me to use the needle part and inject some of the juice INTO the turkey! Yeah, not a smart move! As soon as I pulled the needle out, I got squirted down the front of my shirt...obviously the turkey did not want any extra juices and it spit it back at me. Oh well...
The end is near! Hallelujah! It has been a looong day in the kitchen. I finally got down to the last hour and uncovered it to let it brown. I also put my yummy stuffing in the oven to bake. MAN...this is gonna be an awesome meal! My mashed taters are ready and all that is left is the gravy and the rolls and the cranberry sauce. I thought my husband and I would actually get to sit down to a dinner together but he was called away to work, so I ended up eating on my own.
The finished product! I cannot tell you how proud I am of myself! 5 hours of cooking and oh my gosh it was worth it! J.W. says it's the best turkey he has ever eaten in his life! I'm sure he's just trying to score some major "hunny" points but hey, I'll believe him!
Just proof you should never underestimate yourself. I have figured out that I truly like to cook and try new recipes. Go to www.kraftfoods.com for great recipes ideas, and also www.allrecipes.com...these are my two favorite websites. I'm always checking them out for new ideas.
Next weekend?! CHRISTMAS DECORATING! Yippy! I'm hoping that me and my sweets can make it up to the mountains to a tree farm to pick out a Christmas tree! We just bought our home back in July so I'm excited to decorate for Christmas this year. I am a snowman FREAK! My tree will be decked out from top to bottom in snowmen as well as the rest of my house! Pictures forthcoming I'm sure!
Well, that's about it for today. I'm pooped! I think it's time to go find a good Lifetime movie and chill out. I'll check back in later!

2 comments:

Jen @ One Moms World said...

YOU DID IT... see now that wasn't hard was it? I'll be down to get my servings thank you very much. HA

Cindy said...

Will you please send me some of that turkey up the mtn? Can't wait to get mine fixed. Love this time of year!